What we do?
We offer services in building together to achieve an improvement in specific social milieux, on the basis of the principle of equality and devoting special attention to little-used languages. On this basis, we mostly work in the following fields:
- Normalisation of the Basque language
- Language management
- Citizen participation
- Equality between men and women.
We began in 1991 with the aim of integrating Basque into the workplace. An agreement signed with the Government of the Basque Autonomous Community enabled us for the first time to systematically integrate Basque into the daily activities of the companies Elay and CAF. Since then, we have gone on working on the normalisation of the use of Basque in companies as well as in public institutions and other organisations. Armed with the expertise gained in this area, we assist in the language management of companies that operate internationally.
In these projects we have striven hard to design and adapt a participation-based methodology. This effort has given us the option of moving on to projects not linked to the sphere of Basque. In 2006, we launched the Equality Plan and made a special effort to train our officers in this field. And this work has yielded its fruit. We are a consultancy approved by Emakunde (the Basque Institute for Women) to provide technical assistance in matters relating to equality of opportunities between men and women in the Basque Autonomous Community.
We are a multidisciplinary group made up of professionals with expertise in different areas. A total of 25 of us divided between two offices work in Elhuyar Consulting: our main office is in Usurbil but we have another in Bizkaia, in the town of Durango.
On an academic level the members of our team have studied Philology, Sociology, Political Science or Law, History, Image Science, Teacher Training, Economics and Business Administration, equality officer studies, etc.
- General Coordinator: Maddi Etxebarria Bilbao
Experiences, individual as well as collective. This is the key and basis of our methodology: people are the core of our processes, and in them great importance is attached to the specificity of each person. As we see it, to achieve any aim it is necessary to sway people directly; or to put it another way, to influence their attitude.
Our techniques and group dynamics are based on the Reflect Action methodology: they are easy to understand, visual and facilitate participation. In them we set up democratic spaces, and empower people. The techniques used are designed to find out the reality in order to create something new. And our processes do in fact seek action as the threshold of transformation.
Official approvals and awards
- Emakunde, the Basque Institute for Women: Approved enterprise to offer technical help in subjects relating to equality of opportunities between men and women in companies and organisations.
- Chartered Provincial Council of Bizkaia: Approved enterprise to offer technical help in subjects relating to equality of opportunities and gender policies.
- Kontseilua (Council of Social Organisations in support of Basque): Bai Euskarari Certificate: service and work in Basque. Accredited since 2005.
- Management 2-17, Bihotza Awards 2007: Euskaldun Bihotza, Distinctions of the press to companies that “have a heart”.