What do we do?
The Language and Technology Unit’s main aim is to create and offer language resources, tools and services to develop the Basque language. We seek to take the customer’s language needs as a whole into consideration and to provide a quality, integral language service.
From the moment Elhuyar was founded, it has been developing and adapting Basque to the new needs of society. With the guarantee of knowledge and experience in this respect, our commitment is towards quality at all times at the service of a clear aim: to turn Basque into a language for communication in society.
Right now there are 35 of us in the Language and Technology Unit team and most of us have advanced qualifications in many different fields (philology, biology, translation and interpreting, nursing, chemistry, pedagogy, engineering, computer science, etc.) and experience spanning many years.
The Language and Technology team is made up of translators and correctors, researchers and developers of language technologies, terminologists, lexicographers and project managers.
Apart from the Language and Technology Unit team, we have also set up a broad network of collaborators, advisers and experts to assist in the quality of our language services and ongoing improvement.
- Head of the Science and Technology Unit: Josu Aztiria Urtaran
- Head of the Translation Service: Lierni Otamendi Arrieta
- Head of Lexicography: Klara Ceberio Berger
Awards and recognition
- 2013: ZTH Android and iOS platform versions in the Gipuzkoa APPs 2013 awards, a special prize was received for contributions towards promoting Basque.
- 2013: The Elhuyar Hiztegiak website received the diariovasco.com saria award in the category of “Best website encouraging speaking in Basque or the learning of Basque”.
- 2012: the Elhuyar Hiztegia (Elhuyar Dictionary) mobile app received the El Correo.com 2012 award in the best mobile app category.
- 2012: at the SEPLN 2012 congress, the Opinion Mining system developed by Elhuyar won the TASS championship.
- 2009: AnHitz received two prizes at the CLA’09 (Computational Linguistics – Applications) international workshop: for best information search application and best application in the whole workshop.
The Language and Technology unit holds the following approvals and certificates:
- Aenor - Quality certification for translation services.
- The “Bai Euskarari” Certificate: service and work in Basque.