Elhuyar has many years of experience working on machine translation projects. In 2007, for example, he participated with the research team Ixa of the UPV/EHU in the project to create the system called Matxin, a milestone in the automatic translation in Basque, which consisted of an automatic translation system based on free software that translated from Spanish to Basque. It was the first automatic translator of those characteristics.
As research has advanced, other techniques have been incorporated for the creation of automatic translators, which are currently based on artificial intelligence and neural networks. We offer an automatic translation service available to users and customers: Elia. Elia, the automatic translator for Elhuyar, has the following features:
- Speaks 6 languages: Basque, Spanish, French, English, Catalan and Galician.
- Enables full documents to be translated. In addition, it allows the translation proposed by the system to be changed sentence to sentence.
- It offers free applications for both desktop and mobile.
- It offers the possibility to personalize translations: you can be added a custom dictionary to translate certain words or phrases according to the preferences of each user.
- It has a specific system for legal and administrative texts.
- Offers guided translation. Users can thus make changes to the translation proposed by the system, with the help of the system: by clicking on a word, the system will offer different possibilities for the text immediately after that word.
- Integration into professional translators tools: Wordfast, SDL Trados...
- Confidentiality and security: User data and information sent through the service are handled securely.
- Thanks to its REST API, it can be integrated into any application.
For more information please contact:
Development of cross-border cooperation and knowledge transfer in language technologies (EFA 227/16/LINGUATEC)
The project aims to develop, demonstrate and disseminate new resources, tools and innovative linguistic applications that improve the digitisation level of Aragonese, Euskera and Occitan. The Project will allow technological cooperation between languages to develop new language resources and tools, as well as new on-line applications to facilitate the use of the three languages and multilingual access to content by end users.